The 1970’s. A time of excess, weird clothes, and cool robots. The crew here at Nothing Uncut decided to compile a list of some of the best future machines Hollywood could dream up from that era. So here it is.
10. TWIKI FROM BUCK RODGERS IN THE 25TH CENTURY (1979)Twiki kinda creeps me out in a strange way. I mean, look at that robo-bowl cut they gave him? His coolness factor is heighten by Dr Theopolis (aka Theo), a sentient computer that hangs around Twiki’s neck… think Flavor Flav’s extra large clock necklace, only it talks!
09. ILIA PROBE FROM STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE (1979)Although I’m not a huge fan of Star Trek: The Motion Picture (I’m more of a Wrath of Khan guy) Ilia Probe proved that being a female robot that is very bald is absolutely cool.
08. BOX FROM LOGAN’S RUN (1976)
I gotta say it… I know this will be hacky but… Box is as cool as ice. I’m sorry.
07. THE GUNSLINGER FROM WESTWORLD (1973)
Westworld is a film from the 70’s about a group of robots who malfunction and attack tourists on vacation. The stand out android being a stone faced killer named The Gunslinger, perfectly played by Yul Brynner. The Gunslinger took old west cool and brought it unto the future.
06. HUEY, DEWEY AND LOUIE FROM SILENT RUNNING (1972)
The often overlooked classic Silent Running, starring the great Bruce Dern, also featured three extremely cool robots. An interesting sidenote: All three robots were manned by real actors.
05. MUFFIT II FROM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (1978)
Cornering the market in this article on cuteness is Muffit. Look at that thing! So cute. In fact Muffit is cool cute… is that thing? No, but for this article it is.
04 THE CYLONS FROM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (1978)
Look how mean that guy looks? There’s only one other robot I know of that looks meaner, and he’s coming up later in this list.
03. V.I.N.CENT AND B.O.B. FROM THE BLACK HOLE (1979)
Disney’s The Black Hole is a highly underrated sci-fi film and very much forgotten by many at this point. It’s home to some awesome robots. One a little dim-witted and other was not, but both were definitely cool.
02. MAX FROM THE BLACK HOLE (1979)
When I said The Black Hole is home to some awesome robots, I wasn’t lying. Max is a badass and is officially the meanest robot on the list (Sorry Cylons.) Much like Muffit is cool cute, Max is cool evil!
01. R2D2 AND C3PO FROM STAR WARS (1977)
No 70’s robot list is complete without these two. You know them, you love them. They are the definition of cool robots.
Feel free to comment and tell us if we missed anyone!