Since the announcement last year of Prometheus 2, very little news has surfaced on the progress of the film’s development. Initially a release date was confirmed for March 4, 2016, which seemed unlikely while director Ridley Scott was busy putting the finishing touched on his next film The Martian. It turns out that release date is definitely not happening, as Scott just revealed in an interview with SciFied that he is set to begin filming the sequel in January of 2016.
Prometheus 2 is going to feature multiple ‘David’ android units, who will all obviously be portrayed by Michael Fassbender. Noomi Rapace is also set to return as Elizabeth Shaw and the film will be written by Michael Green (Green Lantern) and Jack Paglen (Transcendence).
A major element in Prometheus that carried over from the Alien franchise were the aliens themselves… the Xenomorphs. Sadly, Scott has confirmed they will not be making an appearance in Prometheus 2.
“The beast is done,” Scott previously said about the monster. “Cooked. I got lucky meeting Giger all those years ago. It’s very hard to repeat that. I just happen to be the one who forced it through because they said it’s obscene. They didn’t want to do it and I said, ‘I want to do it, it’s fantastic.’ But after four, I think it wears out a little bit. There’s only so much snarling you can do. I think you’ve got to come back with something more interesting. And I think we’ve found the next step. I thought the Engineers were quite a good start.”
The Engineers were cool, but let’s be honest, they’re no Xenomorphs.
Prometheus grossed over $400 mil at the box office, making it the most financially successful film in the Alien franchise and an obvious choice for getting a sequel. It also had a lot of interesting ideas that could easily be developed on in future installments.