Alright ladies and gents, it’s time to break out that box in the back of your closet of all your ’90’s gear. Lifetime has officially greenlit The Unauthorized Beverly Hills, 90210 Story, and we need to rock our big bangs, our sunflower dresses, long vests, and oversized blazers for this movie debut.
You’re probably wondering why now? Well, the original primetime soap Beverly Hills, 90210 was released October 4th, 1990. What a better way to celebrate the 25th anniversary than releasing the “unauthorized” TV movie treatment? Even though an air date hasn’t been determined, the Nothing Uncut crew would expect it to be around this time. So what should we expect?
“The Unauthorized Beverly Hills, 90210 Story will center on the rollercoaster ride of the program’s first four seasons, highlighting the drama between cast members and producers both on and off-set, including the series’ journey from several near-cancellations to its success and pop culture legacy.” (ET)
I want the behind the scenes goss! Specifically, I want to know why Shannen Doherty left after season four. When Shannen left, “Drew Barrymore was offered a spot as her replacement, but Barrymore rejected it because she wanted to focus on her film career.Alyssa Milano was then for a while a strong contender, and Alicia Silverstone turned down the role before Tiffani Thiessen was cast.” (IMDB) I remember rumors about tensions behind the scenes so I am looking forward to that being exposed.
While we anxiously wait for Lifetime to get this in our hands, let’s recap our top six Beverly Hills, 90210 moments:
1. “Slumber Party” (Season 1): This episode has a total “after school special” tone. Brenda has the girls over for a slumber party and Kelly realizes her random new friend is bad news when she says she wants to be skinny like Kelly and admits that she’s abusing diet pills.
2. “Things to Do on a Rainy Day” (Season 2): The gang meet Color Me Badd.
3. ‘Wildfire” (Season 2): When Brenda, Kelly and Donna lip sync “Breaking Up Is Hard to Do.”
4. “Beach Blanket Brandon” (Season 2): When Brenda thinks she’s prego.
5. “Higher Education”(Season 1): Brenda’s awful dye job.
6. “Something in the Air” (Season 3): All it takes is a little chant to graduate!